Today the United States and Australia signed a Memorandum of Understanding to strengthen emergency management cooperation between the two countries.
Here are the principle points of the agreement. The two governments will:
- Share information on each government’s emergency management frameworks and lessons learned from recent natural disasters;
- Exchange public awareness mechanisms on preparedness for natural disasters;
- Coordinate professional development activities for emergency managers;
- Build partnerships between the emergency management agencies of the two countries, including through the exchange of technical experts and specialists; and
- Streamline processes for emergency management authorities in both countries in order to establish arrangements for the exchange of personnel in response to emergencies.