The Orange County Fire Authority in California is saying that a 12-acre fire on Saturday was ignited when a golfer, whose ball was in the rough, struck a rock with his club, causing sparks which started the fire. It took hand crews, helicopters, and 150 firefighters to put out the fire at the Shady Canyon Golf Club.
Apparently it is not uncommon for golf clubs to generate sparks, according to posters on the Sand Trap forum.
Should we close golf courses during periods of high fire danger? (kidding…. I’m sure that would go over really well!)