It is unusual to see Red Flag warnings for the New England states, but today the list includes most of southern New England — portions of: NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, as well as parts of the western states of NV, AZ, NM, TX, MT, ND, and SD.
Here is an example of one of the warnings issued by the National Weather Service, in this case it is for western Mass.:
RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING TO 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR MUCH OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND…
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON [MASS.] HAS ISSUED A RED FLAG WARNING FOR MUCH OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND…WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING TO 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING. THE FIRE WEATHER WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
- AFFECTED AREA…ALL OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND EXCEPT FOR CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS.
- WINDS…NORTHWEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.
- TIMING…FROM LATE MORNING THROUGH EVENING.
- RELATIVE HUMIDITY…AS LOW AS 13 PERCENT.
- TEMPERATURES…IN THE UPPER 50S TO MID 60S.
- IMPACTS…ANY FIRES THAT DEVELOP WILL LIKELY SPREAD RAPIDLY. OUTDOOR BURNING IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
Be careful out there New Englanders.