Ion Worrell, an Australian friend, gave us an update on the U.S. firefighters that are deployed down under to assist with the fires in Victoria. It is easier to obtain information about this assignment from the other side of the world than from our own agencies.
Most of them have worked on fires in the Cann River area over the last three weeks. In between fires the 13 of them are working on a variety of projects at 9 locations around the state: Melbourne, Ballarat, Yallock, Colac, Bendigo, Traralgon, Alexandra, Woori Yallock, and Orbost. For example, Bob Lippincott and David Eaker are working on some Local Fire Management Plans at Woori Yallock. Here is an example of the planning process.
Deployed to Victoria, Australia:
- Rod Bloms, U.S. Forest Service (USFS)
- Shane Del Grosso, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USF&WS)
- David Eaker, National Park Service
- Jeff Gardetto, Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
- Lynne Howard, USFS or USF&WS (?)
- Jim Jaminet, interagency Fire Mgt. Officer
- Allen Johnson, USFS
- Yvonne Jones, Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)
- Bob Lippincott, USFS
- Noel Livingston, USFS
- Rocky Oplinger, USFS
- Mark Struble, BLM
- Ron Woychak, BLM