A sky lantern caused burn injuries to 15 people when one of the dangerous devices landed on a shop in the Indian state of West Bengal. The fire spread to four kutcha houses, gutting them, and injured 13 adults and two children who were all admitted to Tamluk hospital.
Police said six people, including the two children, were in serious condition.
Sky lanterns, also known as Chinese lanterns, are plastic or paper bags lofted by the heat created by burning fuel at the bottom. After they are launched the perpetrator has no control and the dangerous devices are carried wherever the wind blows. Too often they get caught on trees, roofs, cell phone towers, or land on the ground when the flames are still active and start damaging fires. They are banned in most U.S. states and many countries, including Brazil.