PEMBROKE, Maine (NEWS CENTER) — The Maine Forest Service says so far in 2010 close to 30 suspicious wildfires have broken out in Downeast Maine and all of them appear to have been started intentionally.
Four fires broke out in parts of Pembroke and Perry earlier this week. Others have appeared in the towns of Robbinston and Charlotte. On Monday afternoon, one fire broke out off the Ox Cove Road and set fire to six acres of land.
Officials say while a number of the fires have popped up in the vicinity of homes, area firefighters have been able to contain and extinguish them quickly. Forest ranger Courtney Hammond says the location of many of these fires is a sign enough that humans are involved.