Wildland firefighters are not alone in their high rate of suicide.
From Fedsmith.com January 8, 2019:
Suicides accounted for 28% of the 124 Federal employee job-related deaths in 2018.
In contrast, suicides accounted for only 5% of the 4,779 private industry employees who died on the job in 2018.
It is OK to ask someone if they are thinking about suicide. Some people think this will spur suicide attempts but this is not accurate. Encouraging them to talk could be the first step leading them to safety.
Help is available for those feeling really depressed or suicidal.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255. Online Chat.
- Anonymous assistance from the Wildland Firefighter Foundation: 208-336-2996.
- National Wildland Fire and Aviation Critical Incident Stress Management Website.
- Code Green Campaign, a first responder oriented mental health advocacy organization.
- Would you rather communicate with a counselor by text? If you are feeling really depressed or suicidal, a crisis counselor will TEXT with you. The Crisis Text Line runs a free service. Just text: 741-741
Thanks and a tip of the hat go out to Jim. Typos or errors, report them HERE.