Firefighters on Glass Fire evaluated for possible carbon monoxide exposure

October 6, 2020   |   2:31 p.m. PDT

The north end of the Glass Fire
The north end of the Glass Fire, as seen from St Helena South camera at 225 p.m. PDT Oct. 6, 2020. Looking east. AlertWildfire.

Sixteen firefighters assigned to the Glass Fire near the Napa Valley in Northern California were evaluated for possible carbon monoxide exposure Tuesday morning October 6. One was transported to a hospital and the others were allowed to return to their duties.

CAL FIRE said the exposure occurred at a location off-site out of the fire area. The personnel were evaluated by members of the Santa Rosa Fire Department and medical personnel assigned to the incident.

CAL FIRE did not disclose where the firefighters were or what they were doing when the possible exposure occurred. Five ambulances were dispatched to the CAL FIRE incident command post at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds in Santa Rosa Tuesday morning.

The Glass Fire has burned 66,840 acres, 310 homes, and 12 commercial buildings.

UPDATE October 7, 2020   |   12:09 a.m. PDT:

Pat McLean, a spokesperson for CAL FIRE, said on October 7, “16 firefighters were evaluated yesterday. Fifteen were cleared to go right back to active duty yesterday and the 16th was evaluated at the hospital and has since been released back to full duty as well.”

When asked where the firefighters were when they were exposed to carbon monoxide, Mr. McLean said, “I don’t have that information. They were outside, they were not on the fire, nor were they at base camp.”

He said he did not have information about the source of the carbon monoxide. The incident is being investigated.

Typos, let us know HERE. And, please keep in mind our commenting ground rules before you post a comment.

Author: Bill Gabbert

After working full time in wildland fire for 33 years, he continues to learn, and strives to be a Student of Fire. Google+

4 thoughts on “Firefighters on Glass Fire evaluated for possible carbon monoxide exposure”

  1. Say it ain’t so!
    Think of all the crap these folks are exposed to around those burning homes/sheds/meth dumps. Like Agent Orange, time will tell. Gubmint will deny,deny deny. Hide & watch.

  2. If it was not fire-related, then it most likely occurred in an enclosed space, such as a hotel, where a source such as a generator misfunction or a gas leak occurred.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *